Monday, February 1, 2010

Raw Day One: Ready, Steady, GO

Today we began our 30 days of raw and living foods program.  When I say "we", I mean my husband and me, not our daughter.  She eats plenty of fresh fruit and raw nuts, and drinks smoothies and fresh juices daily.  But she eats a cooked meal at night, and I will continue her diet as-is...at least for now.  I had thought I would miss my morning coffee but I was satisfied with a substitute: a juice concoction made with apple, carrot and ginger root.  Great "alive" pick-me-up.  The only thing missing, really, was the heat.  Today it's rainy and cold -- perfect day for coffee and Miles Davis.  It is lunchtime and I am beginning to feel a bit hungry.  Maybe some raw fettucini alfredo?  I tried it last night...AMAZING.  The noodles are shredded zucchini and summer squash.  The sauce consists of a variety of raw (yes, unsalted and unroasted) nuts, garlic, lemon, water and Bragg's Liquid Aminos.  So far, we have eaten (or drunk, depending on how you look at it ;-):

2 glasses smoothie (4 bananas, 1/2 c. blueberries, 2 c. water, 2 c. ice, blended on high until smooth)
1 glass carrot, apple and ginger root juice
2 glasses cucumber, red bell pepper, carrot and apple juice
handful of blueberries
1/2 pear

Ordinarily I would also have a plate of strawberries, more blueberries, and a bowl of grapes.  I'm a grazer by nature, so throughout the morning little nibbles here and there add up.  For that reason alone I have to keep fresh fruit, cleaned and plated, within reach. 

So far, today feels pretty status quo.  I feel groggy, but that is probably due to the weather and lack of sleep.  Tomorrow, after a good night's rest, I should feel much better.  Maybe I'll go take a nap with Sage...

No comments:

Post a Comment