Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Resolutions and family time

I made some very realistic, reasonable resolutions for 2010.  Typically I intend to start new hobbies and I never seem to fit the new ones in with the old ones.  This year, I decided to improve on my current hobbies instead of pursuing new ones.  Invest my New Year energy in them.  You know, follow through instead of jumping from hobby to hobby before I really start to enjoy them. 

Running, for example, is something I've loved for many years.  But I set unrealistic goals and too often I give up or go long periods of time (usually in winter!) without running.  Consequently, I never get any faster because I'm always starting over.  I always do too much, too soon, and end up injuring myself.  More time off from running.  And how can I even imagine running a marathon if I don't train properly?  So I've changed my focus for 2010 with regard to running.  Forget the longer distances for now and train to get really fast (relatively) at the 5K.  I run farther than that on my training runs, so if I can trim my training time, I should do better in my next race.  Realistic, reasonable and achievable.

How am I doing so far?  Well, pretty well, actually.  Monday I ran 3.4 mi in 38 min flat.  Not breaking any records with that time, but it's a start.  Today I'll run it again and try to finish a few seconds faster.  As long as I run consistently, I will achieve my goals eventually.

I'm pursuing other goals more realistically, as well.  Writing in my journal every day and here a few times per week is much more doable than striving to write the next Great American Novel.  Now.  Today.  Better yet, last year.  Too.much.STRESS.  Unnecessary!  Someday, perhaps, I will publish a novel or a non-fiction work about native plants or sustainable living or...whatever I'm interested in at the time.  The point is, as long as I write consistently, I will reach those goals eventually.

So...I want to be a good wife and mother.  These roles require vast investments of time.  I don't want my hobbies or interests to take away time I could be spending with my family.  But I need to make time for myself in order to be the best Me I can be.  Solution?  Run while Sage naps, and write in the morning before she wakes up.  Everything else -- races, preparing raw meals, playing on the beach, and more -- we can do together.  As a family.  Resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment